Sunday, September 14, 2008

GROWTH PAINS HURT!!

Wanna know about growth pains?? Here you go...

The growth of a person happens with the elongation and enlargement of tissues (all tissues, including bone tissue). Usually, growth or growing process does not cause any pain, nature will accommodate every addition, build-up, expansion, in its own way. But, sometimes, children feel vague pain in the leg/body due to stretching of muscles against growing ends of the bones to cause snatch against the stretch, i.e., “growing pain”.

Growing pain seems to be a quasi-rheumatic pain for children, but actually they are supposed to be only muscle pain. This annoying pain usually attacks children especially at night, making the child and the parents sleepless. Even though it is not a serious illness, it can be quite annoying. Parents play masseur to the children all through the night to make the child sleep.

Causes– History, examinations and investigations will not reveal anything related to the causative factor. One thing is certain - the bone does not seem to cause the growing pain. Researchers suspect the stretch of the muscle, tendons and ligaments against their attached ends of growing or elongating bones during growth process causes this so-called growing pain. The medical world also sometimes considers growing pain as a misnomer and treats it as a vague condition (not disease), since it goes off on its own over a period of time and does not seem to be persistent in growth spurt ages i.e. in teenage. Stress and strain (running, jumping, playing, etc.) can aggravate these complaints but they play no role in its causation.

Symptoms – Usually symptoms vary in places and intensity from person to person. Unlike cramps, growing pain does not have any sustained contractions of the muscles other than pain. Commonly

  • Pain occurs in leg muscles since legs grow more than other parts (especially in calf muscles & thigh muscles) and never involves bones

  • Pain occurs commonly in both legs

  • Pain occurs most commonly at night

  • Pain gets intensified after active day

  • Pain gets intensified with cold weather

  • Pain usually gets better with massaging, squeezing, tightening, pinching,

  • stretching, movement, etc.

  • Pain makes one restless, i.e. sufferer wants to change position often or move constantly or repeatedly.

  • Usually get outgrow with growth


Ok, now you must be asking, why am I posting about Growth Pain? Well it's because I have growth pain and it HURTS! Last week was the CLIMAX!

Last Tuesday, I had to wear my Sargeant uniform. When I wore it, it was shorter than usual..but I was like, it must be my imagination. Then at school, Najihah, Mazya and Qarie were like...did you shorten your uniform? I was like no..why?

They said...it looks shorter! Now that I think about it..when I went to my sargeant camp my uniform was way below my knees and now they are above me knees! Then the following days..GROWTH PAINS! It feels like someone is hammering on my legs!

I had tons of meetings last week and all of them were where we had to sit on the floor! I sat in pain...

I've had growth pain since the 6th grade. People say you grow out of it, but I don't quite know if that is true. Most people think I'm weird...because I am already tall but yet still growing taller..

It's not my fault right? I mean Allah wants me to grow..so I grow..but with pain. But I am grateful that my pain only comes once in awhile...

O' Allah, thanks for making me grow..grow into a HEALTHY servant so that I may Help ISLAM!

2 comments:

Furrhunna said...

hey no fair.
you're actually growing!!

::aThirahkahar:: said...

I mean like, yeah!
No fair!!
Even Dalila is taller then me...
Waah~ I wanna grow too!
Hey, why don't u give some of u're height to me?

Haha~ kidding...
So that's why u said u're legs hurt....