Saturday, September 26, 2009

EiD-uL-fItR!

Sallamz everyone,

So i'm blogging again after ages..how's was your Eid? Fun? Ok? Boring? For me, it was ok. Not that I hate it, but it was ok..not how it used to be when I was little..my ex-naqibah once said that as we get older, Eid gets more boring...and honestly..I have to agree. But it doesn't matter...

Hey Athirah..I'm going to grab your post idea ok??

I want to compare my Eid in Malaysia and in the States..

Let's start in Malaysia...

Ok, usually 2 days before Eid, my family and I would balik kampung..this year was at Kelantan..eventhough it was Johor's turn..anyho...

I wake up when I hear the azan for Fajr, get ready and stuff. Then I go help out with breakfast. This year was sate! Yummy! In Johor, it would be rendang and ketupat nasi...after setting up the table..its BREAKFAST TIME! So we all eat, my cousins, aunts, uncle, parents, grandparents..

After that we all change to our Eid clothes..this year the theme was RED!! Hahaha..my sis so didn't want to wear red because she was scraed that a cow might chase her....

Then it's off to pray at the mosque..if I was in Johor I just pray at my grandma's...because women in Johor don't pray Eid..at least not in my village that is..After prayer its salam- bersalaman..then..photography sessions...

After endless sessions of posing..we go beraya the whole village...because its all my dad's family..so we go beraya until maghrib..next day is the same..and the next...

Now in the States...

Eid morning, I wake up around Fajr. Get ready...then go to the kitchen! My mom is baking sate in the oven! Every year we eat nasi impit, kuah kacang and sate. Once year...yupz...After eating with my family, we take pictures around the house...then its off to the masjid! We pray, then eat..then stay at the masjid until maghrib. After prayer, it's usually gift giving time. Yeah..that's Eid in the States, spending the day at the masjid, doing all kinds of activities. There are tons of games, contests and food! Then usualy after Asr, my friends and I head to the mall! Hahaha..what do you expect??

The differences:

1) Balik kampung
2) The duit raya phenomena..in the States..Eid is not about duit raya..
3) Instead of duit raya, we give gifts..
4) Family
5) The takbeer..here its so sad and berlagu..there its semangat...and KUAT!!

Yeah, in the States we don't have any relatives, but the Ukhuwwah Islamiah there is so strong. On Eid when we all gather it feels that we all are a big family..I mean we are all of different races and cultures..but what unites us together is ISLAM!!

Man, I miss the old days..but it doesn't matter where I celebrate Eid.. as long as Islam is here..Eid will always be special for me...hope it is for you...until after SPM...sallams...

No comments: